Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Cave and More SNAKES!!!!

I was about 8 years old when we moved from the house at Spicewood Springs to a house much closer to the pool we swam in and my new friend Ruthie Myrick just my age. She had 2 little brothers, called Sonny the older about 7 and Pud about 5, they always tagged along behind us and we were always trying to run away from them. Mom wouldn't let Leona run with us she was Pud's age, but I think mom was a little more protective of Leona. Ruthie said there was a big cave behind her property and wanted me to go there with her. She said there were lots of coach whips down in the cave. Coach whips were black snakes that ran on their tails and chased people or so we heard we didn't know what the snakes did to you if they caught you. I don't know what possessed us but we went down there. If mama would've known where we were going that day she would've stopped us. Mom always said God watched out for old fools and little children and I know He was watching that day. The cave turned out to be a big pit in the ground and it was dirt on our side and a cliff of rocks on the back side. We gathered a bunch of rocks down there and before you could shake a stick snakes started to crawl from the rocks on the back side and from under the rocks on the floor of it, there were a lot of them, all kinds, they hissed and jumped at us. We threw more rocks and sticks and what ever we could find. After awhile the snakes became pretty angry and started to coil up and jump at us. We got pretty scared and started to run, and by golly a couple had jumped from the pit and started to chase us, we kept looking back to see if they were upon their tails, No such luck we continued to run and went as fast as we could through the corn field and made it to Ruthie's back yard so out of breath that mama came out and wanted to know why we were running in the heat???? I had lost my bonnet in the race and she told me to go back and find it but I didn't go then, I told her we would go and look for it later when we were rested. She made us sit in the shade under the tree and drink some water. Much later in the evening when the sun went down we walked down the field and found my bonnet in the corn patch. I NEVER did go down there again, I was too afraid and I never told my mom what we had done that day. In fact I think this is the first time that I really told this story and told all of it.

3 comments:

  1. Do you feel better now that you have confessed? Great story. I'm so glad the snakes didn't get you and that you're my family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was interrupted during that last comment. Sorry it was so weird. Anyway, I meant to say I'm so glad you lived and that you are my grandma. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was one great story! I'm so glad you are doing this. Your memory is amazing, that must be where Eddie gets it from. I am so grateful Heavenly Father was watching out for you!! That is crazy! Love and miss you!!

    ReplyDelete