Monday, January 25, 2010

Valentine"s Day The First One I Remember

The first time I realized that there was such a thing as Valentines Day, I was in the first grade and my teacher made the most beautiful Valentines box for our class. I knew nothing about it and I went home all excited to give valentines cards to my friends. Now in those days we couldn't buy cards as we can today, they were few and far between. The ones that were available were for lovers and such. Nothing for school chums. So my dad of all people brought home glue, red construction paper and paper dollies,ribbons and with a couple of pair of scissors, he proceeded to show me how to glue and cut the cards. We even made one for our teacher. I thought I was pretty special, and that the cards were beautiful. We made one for everyone in the class. We had cookies and some kind of punch, and I thought it was a really special day. The best and most wonderful thing was all of the Valentines that I made with my daddy. What a wonderful memory, the night coming on and the lamps burning as we had no electricity at that time. I also got to stay up late because we worked on the cards and the whole thing was so wonderful in my 6 year old eyes.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, mom thanks for sharing that. I loved talking to you today! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just read all of these "Little Nellie" posts. They are all great stories. Once you get a bunch you should put them in a book. Megan has done it a bunch with our blog (to keep as a family history) and it turns out really nicely. Thanks for sharing!
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOu didn't have any electricity!!!!!!!!?!!!!! Oh my gosh! That is such a sweet story. That was really sweet of your dad to help you with that, I don't feel like many dads would do something like that with their kid. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet story! I can't believe you didn't have electricity. How crazy. You have seen a lot happen in your lifetime. I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read all of the Little Nellie posts. Thank you so much. I love them and can't wait to read them to the kids. They are so precious. Love you and grandpa too!

    ReplyDelete