Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dad Playing The Fiddle And Snakes

When I was around 5 or 6 dad and Uncle Delbert(mom's brother) were out in the side yard playing Delbert played the guitar and dad played the fiddle. It was a warm evening and pleasant under the trees, we all sat around listening to music, and I sang a couple of songs with dad. Now I had a pet goat at that time and he was tied up there by us to a tree. After an hour or so I got bored and started to run between Dad and uncle Delbert, the goat started to baa a little and then kinda of a lot. Now my dad wasn't known for his patience at times, but I was never afraid of him. That night he got tired of the goat bellering and me running in front of him and he couldn't see Delbert. So he said to me "Janell if you don't stop running in front of me I'm going to hit you on the head with my fiddle bow." Now I knew he'd never do it so I said back to him " yeah and you'll break your fiddle bow too." But I went and set down for awhile. Now the goat just kept stomping at the ground, and baa baa at me and I went over to settle him down a few times. Later that evening when we went to take the chairs back into the house dad found a rattlesnake coiled up under the one that was next to the goat, and that was why the goat was so unsettled and I guess no one sat in that chair, as mom and Leona had gone into the house earlier and I guess the snake crawled under there and coiled up ready to strike if someone had of sat there. Only the goat knew he was there and because the goat made so much ruckus I think the snake just sat under the chair. My dad killed the snake and he told mom that we wouldn't be sitting out under the trees anymore in the evening, but would play in the house in the summer. They would sometimes play on the porch after that. There were a lot of rattle snakes on the property where we lived at that time, it has now become a really expensive property and the lots at Spicewood Springs sell for 200.000 thousand or more. When we lived there it was really primitive and had lots of scrub cedar and oak on the land.

2 comments:

  1. that was a cool story, it goes to show that nature always knows what's going on. We should pay attention to the animals and what they do!
    love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so scary. It would be so frightening to have a real rattlesnake a foot away. If I lived there I would never set foot outside for fear of being bitten. I'm surprised that you ever did. Of course living there your whole life you were used to things like that. I love you and these stories so much.

    ReplyDelete