Sunday, January 17, 2010

Information On Little Nellie

I was born on June 24th, 1937 in Travis County Austin, Texas in the hospital there. There were some problems, with the delivery which I really never knew a lot about, but it was serious, as my parents didn't have any more births in a hospital until Buck was born and he was number six. I am the oldest of seven and I have only one brother and five sisters. The girls are all very close and we talk a lot, even though we live far apart from each other. We e-mail and cell talk, and talk on the regular phone. Dad and Mom named me after mom as her middle name was Janell, and I became Carla Janell Biggs. Carla was after my uncle Carl, one of Dad's brothers. Mom called me Janell, Dad called me Sister, as I was the oldest daughter, so I became Sister in his eyes. If he called me by my name, it usually meant he was displeased about something I had done. Mom's family and my grandma Knapp(her Mom) all called me Janell. My Grannie Biggs was different in lots of ways, and my mom said that when she saw me the first time she said I would be Little Nellie. She called me Nellie all of the time. I don't think my mom wanted my name shortened like that, but you didn't argue with Grannie, or she just became more determined. The only other name I was called by anyone else in the Biggs family was Janell, and if anyone tried to shorten it my mother would correct them. So Grannie was the only one that ever called me that, and once in awhile Leona would call me that when she was little. In later life I sometimes, became Nell to my sisters and some of Linda's children call me aunt Nell. I have mentioned Leona in an earlier post about the time she was born. Leona was named after her grandmothers, Leona Belle Leona after my grandmother Knapp, and Belle after my Grannie Biggs, her name was Lizzie Belle Weddle. The rest of the girls were named because my parents liked the names. My next sister was Sherry Leigh, then Linda Joyce, next Linnie Marie after Mom's sister Aunt Linnie. After that the next one was O. B. BIggs Jr, and winding up the crew was Shelia Laverne. I will write more on this later.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. It sounds as if you and Leona were together a lot. All these stories are so cool. Thanks for writing them.

    ReplyDelete